FEBRUARY 27TH – Top 5 Bookish Pet Peeves
This Top 5 Tuesday meme is hosted by the very lovely and super helpful Shanah at Bionic Bookworm. If you want to join in, please do. You can check out the fun topics selected for March. Today’s topic is Top 5 Bookish Pet Peeves.
In a bookish context, what annoys you most about books? Maybe it’s a general issue, writing style, book treatment, releases, covers…? The list could go on and on. Here are 5 things that bother me:
1. Cliffhangers: Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate that these can really drag a reader in and have us almost salivating for the next release, but give a reader some warning! I hate to be fully engrossed in my book, resolutions come rolling in, the end is approaching then WHAM! Random plot twist right on the VERY LAST PAGE????!!!! No. No. No. And what’s that? The next book won’t be out for almost a year? Are you kidding me???! I need to know that ‘something’ (not the actual happening) drastic will happen at the end and that it’s a cliffhanger ending. I will then wait until book 2 is out and read 1 and 2 close together.
2. Prolonged release dates in a series: Related to the issue of cliffhangers is the wait time between books in a series. 3 months- fine, 6 months- okay, 1 year- if you must. Anything over a year… get over yourself publishing house! I find indie authors can get their books out pretty quickly. It’s the big publishing houses that make us wait the longest. I’d like to remember most of the previous story by the time the next book comes out please.
3. Folding back soft cover books: Just don’t do that. Be nice to your books. Would you like it if someone came and folded you back on to yourself just to get a good look at your face? Probably not! 😝
4. Bland covers: If it’s not a classic, it needs something more than a blank page with a title printed on it. I like cozy mysteries and romance novels because I want reading material that makes me happy. A pretty cover, a funny cover, an elegant cover or a very interesting cover definitely attracts me to the book
5. Movie covers: I saw this last one on Shanah’s list and found myself nodding enthusiastically in agreement. I want to read the book first. I can watch the movie later. I want the original cover and not Hollywood’s version of what it looks like. And if I want a picture of a particular actor or actress, I’ll find one myself. My book does not need to provide it.
Enough complaining for now. 😉
What about you, anything really bothers you about your books?